The Church of St. Peter was erected in 1710 during the Dutch occupation of Melaka. It is the oldest Roman Catholic Church in Malaysia and it was built on a piece of land donated by a Dutch gentleman, Maryber Franz Amboer. Its facade and decor has a combination of eastern and western architecture. One of its bells was cast in Goa in 1608.
In the Church and compound there are 14 tombstones. St. Peter's Church is the centre of many traditional religious celebrations, specially during the events of the Holy Week. Symbolically St. Peter's is the mother church of the many descendants of the Portuguese (Eurasian) community throughout the past 270 years of its existence.