Muzium Kebudayaan or Cultural Museum was inaugurated in March 1954 by the then Resident Commissioner of Melaka, G.E.C. Wisdom, C.M.G., in a Dutch house built around 1660. The museum was later moved to the Stadhuys in 1982 before it was finally moved into its own complex in the late 1980's.
The RM2.5 million museum was officially opened to the public on July 17, 1986 by Malaysia's Prime Minister Dato' Seri Dr Mahathir Mohamad. The palace was built based on the description and reference to the palace in 'Sejarah Melayu' or Malay Annals, the wooden replica houses the Cultural Museum of Melaka.
Situated at the foot of St. Paul's Hill, it is the only Malay palace from Melaka's glorious past built with such detail and refinement. The original location of the palace was on to of Melaka Hill (now St. Paul's Hill) overlooking Melaka River and Baazar.
Currently, the museum houses about 1,350 items in the form of artefacts, prints, photographs and drawings which represent the history and cultural heritage of the Malay Sultanate of Melaka and the various communities, which came to settle in Melaka during that period.
The three-storey building is divided into eight chambers and three galleries including chambers of the Royal band, weaponry, decorative arts, emissaries and gifts, a recreation hall, an audience hall and an Islamic hall.
The galleries depict the famous clash between the legendary warriors Hang Tuah and Hang Jebat, traditional costumes and the royal bedchamber. Exhibits include prints and photographs of the Melaka Sultanate, a model of the Sultan Mansur Shah Palace, Malay weapons, Malay traditional wedding dress, jewelleries and brassware.
Daily: 9am - 6pm (Closed on Monday)
For more enquiries, please contact :
Melaka Sultanate Palace,
Perbadanan Muzium Melaka (PERZIM),
Jalan Kota, 75000 Melaka.
Tel: +606-282 7464 / +606 282 6526 / +606 281 1289
Fax: +606-282 6745